Social Media Junior Associate
HAZMAT America is seeking a full-time Social Media, Junior Associate beginning this summer to work remotely. Our full-time office is located in DC, but due to COVID 19 our office is currently 100% remote and may continue to be remote into the fall. Junior Associates are paid $15 per hour. Junior Associates must be college students, rising juniors and seniors preferred. Those with experience with campaigns, communications, and/or digital marketing/social media are strongly encouraged to apply.
HAZMAT America runs Cleanup Carl, America’s only anti-corruption superhero. We’re calling out the toxic interests corrupting our democracy so we can rally together for an America that works for everyone, not wealthy donors and the 1%. Specifically, we’re joining with grassroots activists across the country to defeat the Republicans in Congress and stop their attacks on democracy. We join with diverse allies in fights around voting rights, money in politics, corporate influence, and more. We invite you to visit our website and press page to learn more about our work.
In addition, the Junior Associate will assist on related campaigns to tax the rich, raise the minimum wage, and generally advocate for political equality.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
We are a grassroots and communications advocacy group. The more people talking about and engaging with our work and the work of our allies, the stronger our campaigns are. Social media is one of the primary distribution channels to enable that.
As the Social Media Junior Associate, you will assist with our social media strategy and carry out its implementation, help create compelling content, and help grow and deepen engagement with our social media audience using a creative but still metrics-driven approach. You’ll also need to be a resource for our allies and coalition partners.
- Directly assist the Digital Director and National Campaign Director in managing our social media channels, you will curate content, conduct research, and craft captions and tweets.
- Write compelling and creative social media content.
- Conceptualize and work with the Creative Director to produce engaging graphics and multimedia content (memes/gifs/photo stories/short, minimally edited videos/etc.) to amplify our work — ideally in a way that piggybacks on current events, pop culture, and relevant social media conversations.
- Assist in the collection of our metrics with an eye toward increasing engagement and growing our audience.
- Engage in social listening to identify strategic opportunities to engage with emerging online conversations.
- Stay on top of new digital tactics, trends, and tools.
- Grow the size of our Facebook page
- Grow the number of our Twitter followers
- Engage directly with existing allies and cultivate strong relationships with new allies on social media to grow our reach and expand our campaigns
- Provide general office support.
- Exceptional writing skills
- Experience growing the size of social media audiences for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other platforms like TikTok
- A sense of humor and interest in building a unique voice in the progressive movement
- A strong interest in democracy issues and desire to defeat Republican Members of Congress
- Effective communication abilities on the phone and on Zoom.
- Initiative to self-start projects and to handle heavy workflow both independently and collaboratively
- Exceptional computer skills and technical expertise (Excel, Power Point, social networking tools)
- Proven ability to multitask and meet deadlines under time constraints
- General knowledge of and enthusiasm for politics and public policy
Preferred but not required
- Knowledge of social media tools; Tweetdeck, ActionSprout, CrowdTangle
- Knowledge of Canva, Adobe, Photoshop
To apply please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com